Two different countries

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Two different countries

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi everybody! What noun, phrase or adjective do you use to call a person whose parents come from two different countries? For instance: The person's mom comes from Japan and the person's father comes from Korea.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Two different countries

Post by tony h » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Mixed-heritage
Bi-racial is one I have heard recently.
Mongrel - insulting (or possibly humorous)

Various portmanteau words fit specific scenarios:
eg: French English - Franglais

I am not sure about Japan and Korea. Japea maybe? Koran probably not!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Offhand I can’t think of any cool, succinct description. But I would say, even though it’s a bit awkward, that a person whose mother is a Japanese citizen and father is a Korean citizen is of “Japanese-Korean parentage citizenship” – their parents have different nationalities.
However, if the person’s mom is of Japanese ethnicity and the father is of Korean ethnicity, I would say they are of “Japanese-Korean parentage ethnicity” – their parents have different ethnicities. And it is possible that they may or may not at the same time also be of Japanese-Korean parentage citizenship.

That’s my best shot. (>:)

Ken Greenwald – December 21, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 pm

I always tread carefully around these type of subjects, fearful that I may step into a steaming pile of political correctness. Not only am I unsure of the subtle differences between the terms race, ethnicity, nationality, heritage and culture, I am also wary of the moving goal posts of acceptability regarding the name-tags we attach to them. It seems that the meaning of “race” has migrated slightly to a broader description from what I was taught (many years ago). To me, bi-racial, multi-racial and mixed-race would refer to persons like “mulattos” (which, for all I know, may not be an acceptable term, anymore) rather than someone who had one parent from Scotland and one parent from Ireland. I would say that person had mixed heritage/ancestry.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 pm

A DNA-project?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:50 pm

I would like to thank you all very very much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Stevenloan wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:50 pm
I would like to thank you all very very much for your answers.

StevenLoan
Go ahead.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:13 pm

X {has / possesses / is of} [mixed / Japanese and Korean] {ancestry / heritage / descent / origin / parentage / ethnicity / nationality**}.
----------
** Only if the person in question actually possesses both nationalities.

As Trolley implies, different people define the various possible labels differently. I tend to avoid using 'race', partly because of its unpleasant historical connotations, and partly because race represents a social construct much more than a genetic inheritance.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:37 pm

gdwdwrkr : What do you mean "Go head" in this case? Erik : Thanks a lot for your answer. It really helps.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Your having written, "I would like to thank you...", in the context of your focus on grammatical sense, prompted me to encourage you to do that which you would like to do.
Of course to most, your writing that you'd like to thank others is the same as your actually thanking them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:48 pm
Of course to most, your writing that you'd like to thank others is the same as your actually thanking them.
Excellent! I wonder if it will work the same way when I wish to win the lottery?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:07 pm

trolley wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 pm
gdwdwrkr wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:48 pm
Excellent! I wonder if it will work the same way when I wish to win the lottery?
And I, who want the moon.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC