than you made it

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

than you made it

Post by azz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am

a. I modified a few little things in that story and made it a much better story than you wrote it.
(You wrote that story. I made it better by modifying a few little things.)

b. I added a few things to that machine and now it is a better machine than you made it.

(You made that machine. I made it better.)

Are (a) and (b) grammatically correct?
Are they natural sentences?

Many thanks
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: than you made it

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:29 pm

a. I modified a few little things in that story and made it a much better story than it had been as you had written it.

b. I added a few things to that machine and now it is a better machine than it had been as you had made it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't care for the "it" at the end.

a) I modified a few little things in that story and made it a much better story than what you wrote.

b. I added a few things to that machine and now it is a better machine than what you made.

Are my changes correct? Either way, neither sentence is polite. My husband is my editor & he would never say he made the story better! Generally he would say he made my writing more clear. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:15 pm

a) I modified a few little things in the story and made it a much better story than that which you'd written.
b. I added a few things to the machine and now it is a better machine than that which you'd made.

If I were to use the last three words of your sentences, BonnieL, I'd hyphenate them to "what-you-wrote" and "what-you-made", creating singularities of them, in my mind, at least. Heck, I might even hyphenate the last four in my sentences!
The prescriptivist in me will not be cast-out.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:17 pm

azz wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am
a. I modified a few little things in that story and made it a much better story than you wrote it.
(You wrote that story. I made it better by modifying a few little things.)

b. I added a few things to that machine and now it is a better machine than you made it.

(You made that machine. I made it better.)
I agree with Bonnie that the "it" on the end of the sentence looks ugly but without "it" we're not really clear who wrote the original story.

"I modified a few little things in that story and made it a much better story than what you wrote."

Consider that Joe and Bob both wrote stories. I tweaked Bob's story and created a story that was better than the one that Joe wrote. I'd just take the most direct route

"I modified a few things in the story that you wrote and made it much better."

PS Azz, did you and Navi and Digitalen all go to the same school, or grow up in the same family or, perhaps, just share the same body?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:00 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm
My husband is my editor & he would never say he made the story better!
But as your husband, he must!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by azz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:46 am

Thank you all so much for your responses,

Actually Navi and I are married. We work together and sometimes have arguments about grammar (not a big deal). Phil has been informed of this. It is no big secret.But you will make a good detective. I thought my questions were a lot better than his!

I don't have any idea who Digitalen is. If Navi is up to some mischief, he has kept me in the dark!
(I am joking. It is not him.)

Many thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Ahh, yes. I wasn't so sure that Digitalen was was in the mix, although there are similarities in the types of questions and the way in which they are presented. I would have bet that Navi and Azz were different screen names for the same person...not that it matters, at all.
Thanks
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by azz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:48 am

All we do is ask questions, and we keep things separate. I don't think I've ever posted in his threads and I don't think he has posted in mine.

I don't recall having checked out posts by Digilalen. Navi doesn't know him (or her) either We'll have to check out his or her posts.

Many thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 am

trolley wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:20 pm
I would have bet that Navi and Azz were different screen names for the same person...
...but I wouldn't, now
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Rufus Miles » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:17 am

"I modified a few things in the story that you wrote and made it much better."

This is surely the best, although I would write (being a possibly over-polite Briton):

"I modified a few things in the story that you wrote and (I hope!) made it much better."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC