Donald Trump about

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Donald Trump about

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:56 am

- Hi everybody! This is from The New York Times :

President Trump patted himself on the back for an “incredibly successful” job done in Puerto Rico, where the government estimates that nearly 3,000 people died as a result of Hurricane Maria last year.

I actually think it is one of the best jobs that’s ever been done with respect to what this is all about,” Trump said.

- Does Trump's sentence "I actually think it is one of the best jobs that’s ever been done with respect to what this is all about" have bad intention or good intention? I ask because I don't understand what he means in this situation.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Donald Trump about

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:22 am

I think we're all asking ourselves that.

One clue may be drawn from the public meeting he presided over in Puerto Rico in which he demonstrated his goodwill to its people by throwing rolls of paper kitchen towels into the crowd -- rather like Tom Jones**, but in reverse. (This was a week or two after the 2017 hurricane, once he had decided it might be a good idea to show up there and pretend he cared about their plight.)
---------
** A Welsh matinee idol whose audiences of young women were notorious for throwing their knickers at him when he performed onstage.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm

The wording does not imply an "intention". For it to have intention it would need to be advocating a course of action. Here the action is complete.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Stephen.

When reading Erik's response you may wish to consider whether the response is simply a linguistic response , or whether it is more a reflection of by Erik's politics.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 pm

tony h wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 pm
When reading Erik's response you may wish to consider whether the response is simply a linguistic response , or whether it is more a reflection of by Erik's politics.
Tony's very pertinent comment prompts me to point you to this Vice news story from yesterday.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am

tony h and Erik : Thanks a lot for your responses. tony h : I guess Erik just wanted to tell us his political point of view in his response.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

End of topic.