Peachy

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Peachy

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:13 am

A: How are you feeling today?
B: Peachy.

Hi guys! According to an online dictionary, "peachy" means "the feeling you express sarcastically when you're extremely pissed off and its obvious, but some douche bag still has the balls to ask you how you are." Is "peachy" always used sarcastically to mean "very good" by native speakers?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Peachy

Post by trolley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:50 am

The tricky part is that it is not always meant sarcastically. Sometimes, when people say they are "peachy", they are just that... pretty damned good, can't complain, things could be a lot worse.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I agree with Trolley. Also I have never heard it used in the way Steven suggests. Steven's usage sounds as though it may associated with that black, rap culture (are we allowed to say "black"?) Also I have never heard "douche bag", it sounds like a shower/wash bag but I would have to look it up.

https://douchebags.com/
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 pm

A douchebag is a feminine hygiene apparatus. About 25 or 30 years ago I started hearing it used as an insult. It seems to have really gained traction in the last few years. It describes an obnoxious, contemptable person (usually male). It' was similar to sleazy (sleaze bag) with a touch of smarmy and perhaps just a hint of arrogance...sprinkled with self-importance. Nowadays, it appears that any old dick-head can be a douchebag. It seems to have become a generic term for someone you do not like.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Cheers Trolley.
I had a work colleague who was proud of his doucebag but on looking up they have changed the branding to db.

Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:21 pm

In the States it's often shortened to douche, as in "That guy's a total douche!"

I suppose there's some sort of logic there for speakers of British English, for whom an exclamation like "Those plumbers are a complete shower!" would be meaningful.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm

I would like to thank you all very very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 pm

tony h wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:35 pm
I agree with Trolley. Also I have never heard it used in the way Steven suggests. Steven's usage sounds as though it may associated with that black, rap culture (are we allowed to say "black"?) Also I have never heard "douche bag", it sounds like a shower/wash bag but I would have to look it up.

https://douchebags.com/
My sister just told me that her son (white/black/Indian) is now supposed to be called a "black American" instead of "African American" since he isn't actually from Africa. I've always been confused about him being called black or African American because, if you go by percentages, he's mostly white. She also told me that "person of color" (which I liked because it covers everybody) is no longer permitted. (But permitted by whom? Russell Baker may have coined The Great Permitter, but William Safire expanded it to the "authorities" of English - and they don't always agree!)

PS - my sister wasn't trying to correct me - she was as bemused as I. My nephew probably doesn't even know about it yet. :)
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:03 pm

When I was a kid, "coloured" covered a multitude, and did it effectively,
In the same way that "blonde" or"bald did.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

And in all this there is no suggestion that Nigeria should change it's name or people shouldn't be called Nigerians.

Nigeria = land of the blacks.

Yours confused and too old to be bothered to become unconfused.
Post actions:

End of topic.