Cars

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Cars

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:23 am

Hi everybody! What do you call the white bar that the girl uses as a table in this picture? When it comes to cars, what is the white bar used for?

Thanks a lot!

https://tasty.co/article/kristatorres/1 ... ntered-the (picture number 9)

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Cars

Post by BonnieL » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:38 am

It's called a spoiler & as far as I know, it's just for looks. The young lady found a practical use for it!
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:43 am

The purpose of a spoiler is to reduce the drag from airflow turbulence (thereby increasing fuel efficiency) and/or to improve the handling characteristics. In the latter case, it is designed to apply downward pressure on the rear wheels when the car is moving quickly, thereby enabling it to corner at higher speeds without the rear tyres losing their grip and sliding out, which would tend to cause the car to spin or could even make it flip over.

The spoiler is able to achieve this because it is usually designed as an inverted aerofoil/airfoil (i.e. its profile is like an upside-down wing), and therefore creates 'negative lift'. The faster the car goes, the more downward force is applied.

However, as Bonnie implies, some spoilers (especially aftermarket ones) are fitted more for looks than for their functionality. In the worst case, they can even degrade the car's handling.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:58 am

BonnieL and Erik : Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:40 pm

The question made me start thinking about the purpose of a spoiler, other than the purely decorative. The only sort-of-fact that stuck in my head was that it was there to help lighter cars glue themselves to the track. But this didn't fit with the description of a spoiler. A bit of investigation showed that there are two items that look remarkably similar items on a car called a spoiler and a wing. Rather than try and explain this (badly) I will point you to a YouTube video that does a good job. The wind tunnel bits are most informative.

https://youtu.be/TKH1DyV9vNU
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:58 pm

tony h : Thanks for your input and the link.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by MathewCox » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 pm

The way the spoiler works is like an airplane wing, but upside down... the spoiler actually generates what's called 'down force' on the body of the car, I honestly don't like it, and the one in the picture is too high
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:50 am

MathewCox : Thanks for your post. Welcome to the forum ^^
Post actions:

End of topic.