Charmed

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Charmed

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Young man A: I think you two should know each other.
Old woman: You must be Henry.
Young man B: (shakes hands with the old woman and says) Charmed (and smiles)

Hi everybody! In this situation “charmed” is used to mean “expressing polite pleasure at an introduction”. Can an old person use it to say to a young person? Or must it be used by a young person to say to an old person?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Charmed

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:03 pm

In my opinion, it would be said more by older people than by younger folk. And it would be more likely to be said to a woman than to a man.

But as always in questions of social protocol, perceptions and usages vary, so other people may have a different sense of the term than I do.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:27 pm

I agree with both of Erik's comments. It also seems very old-fashioned and quite formal.. I don't think I've ever heard it used in a real conversation. Often, when I come across it (in movies or books) it is followed by "I'm sure". That always sounded peculiar to me. Even when "charmed, I'm sure" is not being used sarcastically, I'm never quite sure I completely understand the meaning. "Charmed", by itself clearly means "I am charmed (pleased, happy) to meet you", similar to enchantée. Does the "I'm sure" change the meaning? Why does the speaker need to reinforce that he is charmed? Was there some question as to whether or not he was really charmed?. Is he unsure now, but will make a determination later and he's confident that he will be charmed after he's mulled it over?
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:01 am

Oh dear, I guess I'll have to put an order for a wooden overcoat! I use "Charmed" and "Charmed. I'm sure.", "delighted" and "delighted. I'm sure."
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:47 am

Erik, trolley and tony h : Thank you all very very much for your input.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

End of topic.