Foam and cling film

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Foam and cling film

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi everybody! Can I describe the food in the picture as "doughnuts and bread wrapped in a piece of foam and cling film"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Foam and cling film

Post by BonnieL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 pm

They would be ON Styrofoam trays, wrapped in plastic wrap (American) or cling film (British). According to Google.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 pm

We call Styrofoam "Expanded polystyrene" (rightly or wrongly). It is appalling stuff that has been rightly banned in some countries. To see a single doughnut being offered for sale packaged like that is nothing short of disgraceful. It is not recyclable and takes several hundred years to degrade.
Sorry Steven :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:21 am

I was thinking the same thing... a fifty-cent item with a shelf life of a few days in a package with a half-life of a few centuries. Criminal!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm

BonnieL, Bob and trolley: Thank you guys so so much for your answers.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 pm

Bob & Trolley -

I so agree with you! I hate buying stuff on Styrofoam - it's the only plastic (other than trash bags) that the recyclers won't take. I'm thinking of talking with the manager of the meat department as fresh meat is about the only thing sold on foam trays. There has to be a better way.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 pm

A couple of supermarkets over here are inviting customers to take their own containers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC