High-rise building activity

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

High-rise building activity

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call this kind of extreme activity?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: High-rise building activity

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm

The details of what's going on in that photo are a bit tricky to make out, but I think the people in it are about to descend the face of the building on ropes — a sport or climbing-related technique that goes both by its German-derived name, Abseiling (the usual term for it in the UK), and its French-derived one, rappelling (the usual term for it in the USA).

This would be a good time for someone to tell me I am completely wrong about this, and the people are about to do some choreographed line dancing along the ledge.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Ok Erik, challenge accepted.

I was going to agree with you but then I noticed that there were no ropes only short safety lines.

So technically it is simply "walking". Admittedly from the 88th floor of the Jinmai tower. You can find out more about it here https://www.designboom.com/architecture ... 7-29-2016/

PS it wouldn't count as an "extreme sport" which it would have done if it was abseiling, it may still be described as an extreme activity. And that is from someone who considers cracking an egg to be quite sufficient excitement for the day.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:06 am

So these crackpots have actually paid good money to be scared out of their wits.
I wonder if there is someone inside selling underwear.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:32 am

Or washing it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 am

Umbrellas sell well at street level.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:23 pm

I would like to thank you all very very much for your input. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC