Ice

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Ice

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

Hi everybody! What do you call this kind of food? It is ice with syrup and mixed fruits.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Ice

Post by tony h » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:47 pm

I have never seen one.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Don't know about the version with fruit, but here it would be a snow cone (served in a paper cone) or shaved ice.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm

In the USA I believe they call it shaved ice. In structure it is very much a "slush" or "Slush puppy" mixed with beans, cream and other items as desired.

Ice kacang (Malay pronunciation: [aɪs ˈkatʃaŋ]), literally meaning "bean ice", also commonly known as ABC (acronym for Air Batu Campur [air ˈbatu tʃamˈpʊr], meaning "mixed ice"), is a Malaysian dessert which is also common in Singapore (where it is called ice kachang) and Brunei.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ais_kacang

I Indonesia they have a grass jelly (the wibbly wobbly desert) which has beans or sweetcorn in it but not the ice and cream.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:06 pm

There's also quite an informative Wikipedia article about the various forms of shaved ice and the various designations for them around the world.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 pm

This type of treat is quite popular in Hawaii where it is (curiously) called "shave ice". The Wiki article for shaved ice says "not to be confused with shave ice". When you read the article it seems pretty hard not to confuse the two. I've eaten plenty of these things (we call them snow cones) but I've never had one topped with fruit. When I was a kid, I had a plastic snowman that could make these things. You put ice cubes in the hopper (his hat) and then cranked the handle. A rotating drum similar to a cheese grater would shave the ice into a wet snow consistency. Then you topped it off with some sort of syrup or fruit juice. I loved it...
https://www.google.com/search?q=frosty+ ... ehcL8oq29M:
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 pm

tony h wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm
In the USA I believe they call it shaved ice. In structure it is very much a "slush" or "Slush puppy" mixed with beans, cream and other items as desired.
A slushy is more liquid, served in a large cup & drunk with a straw. A snow cone or shave ice you eat like an ice cream cone (& boy, can you ever get brain freeze from that!) or with a spoon.

I never heard of beans or cream in one. Beans sound really weird! Cream I'd probably go for. :)
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:58 pm

I would like to thank you all very very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 pm

I never heard of beans or cream in one. Beans sound really weird! Cream I'd probably go for. :)
I remember the beans in the grass jelly was very odd but once you get your taste buds acclimatised it is very interesting.

You'll find a recipe here http://www.ayambrand.com.my/ayambrand-r ... acang.html

ICE KACANG
INGREDIENTS
•4 cups shaved ice
•200g kidney beans, reserve some for garnish
•100g peanuts, roasted and coarsely grounded, reserve some for garnish
•100g cooked coloured sago balls, reserve some for garnish
•200ml rose syrup
•200g palm sugar, melted with 100g water
•1 pack Ayam Brand™ Coconut Milk 200ml
•150g Ayam Brand™ Sweet Corn Cream Style

MOUNTING
Prepare bowls in a tray. Then, divide the kidney beans, peanut and sago balls at the base of the serving bowls. Shave some crushed ice and add it into the bowls.
Pour the rose syrup around the shaved ice, followed by the palm sugar and coconut milk – the quantity is totally up to your taste.

PRESENTATION
Spoon some creamed corn and garnish with the reserved ingredients.
Serve immediately before the ice starts to melt
Post actions:

End of topic.