Tuesdays

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Tuesdays

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:16 am

- I asked the corporate wellness officer, “Can you teach me yoga?” He said, “How flexible are you?” I said, “I can’t make Tuesdays.”

- Hi everybody! The sentences above are an online joke. I don't understand the part "I can't make Tuesdays". What is so funny about it?

- Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Tuesdays

Post by trolley » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:39 pm

When the wellness officer asks "how flexible are you?" he is asking about physical flexibilty (the bendiness of the other person's body). The other person assumes he is asking about how flexible his schedule is and replies "I can't make Tuesdays", meaning that he is not available to take a class on Tuesday.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:04 pm

trolley is quite right you know.

The odd thing is that I naturally read it as humorous but the answer is quite reasonable.

So if the question was different it all seems quite reasonable eg
“Can you teach me French?” He said, “How flexible are you?” I said, “I can’t make Tuesdays.”

Interestingly, if the joke is played the other way around it still has some humour, but not as much:
“Can you teach me yoga?” He said, “How flexible are you?” I said, “I can touch my toes.”
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 pm

It reminds me of the joke about the old Jewish fellow who was hit by a car. As the bystanders are attending to him on the roadside, one tucks a rolled-up coat under his head, as a pillow and asks "Are you comfortable?"
"I do ok. I have a small jewelry store a couple of streets over"
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 pm

trolley and tony h : Thanks a lot for your answers. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.