the influences of...

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

the influences of...

Post by navi » Wed May 30, 2018 6:16 pm

1) "Notwithstanding these reversals, the influence of Derrida and deconstructionism, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong. "

Source for '1':
Paul R. Gross, ‎Norman Levitt
Higher Superstition: The Academic Left and Its Quarrels with Science

Link:
https://tinyurl.com/ycfnn6wk

2) "Notwithstanding these reversals, the influence of Derrida, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong. "

3) Notwithstanding these reversals, the influence of Derrida, and of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong.

4) Notwithstanding these reversals, the influences of Derrida, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remain strong.

5) Notwithstanding these reversals, the influences of Derrida, and of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remain strong.

Are sentences 1-5 all correct?
Do '4' and '5' imply that Derrida and deconstructionism had more than one influence?

Gratefully,
Navi
Post actions:

Re: the influences of...

Post by tony h » Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm

I start with a problem with 1.

Notwithstanding these reversals, the influence of Derrida and deconstructionism, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong.
Just simplifying it:
Notwithstanding these reversals, reason A, reason B, remains strong.

What does "Notwithstanding these reversals remains strong" mean?
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by navi » Thu May 31, 2018 4:47 am

Thank you very much, Tony,

'1' is supposed to mean:

1a) The influence of Derrida and deconstructionism, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong, notwithstanding these reversals.
1b) "In spite of these reversals, the influence of Derrida and deconstructionism, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong. "

Not withstanding the reversals Derrida and co. have endured, their influence remains strong.

The subject of the sentence is' The influence of Derrida....'

Gratefully,
Navi
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu May 31, 2018 7:00 pm

@Phil White might give us a more learned view :)
1. Notwithstanding these reversals, the influence of Derrida and deconstructionism, of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remains strong.
There are various ways in which I would modify 1 to make it clear - it certainly is capable of confusion in its current state. Where I would end up is with one of :
A. Notwithstanding these reversals, the influence remains strong : of Derrida and deconstructionism [and], of Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination.
or
B. Notwithstanding these reversals, Derrida and deconstructionism and, Foucault and his ideas of consciousness and domination remain strong influences.
or
C. Notwithstanding these reversals, Derrida, and deconstructionism, and Foucault, and his ideas of consciousness and domination, remain strong influences.

:)
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

End of topic.