To be determined to

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

To be determined to

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:53 am

Hi guys! Is there an idiom or a fixed phrase to express "when I am determined to get something successfully"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: To be determined to

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:35 pm

There are quite a few I can think of:

To go all out [for something]
To go full-bore
To go for it
("He saw his chance, and he went for it")
To be {hell-bent / dead set} on
[object or doing something] ("He was hell-bent on being the first in line")

No doubt other contributors to this site will be able to add some to the list.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:35 pm
To be {hell-bent / dead set} on [/i][object or doing something] ("He was hell-bent on being the first in line")[/in]
My mother's version of this was "hell bent for leather." Since I never understood it, I didn't pick it up. :)
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 am

I've hear that too in the States, Bonnie, and I had the same reaction as you. :)
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 pm

From what I can gather, "hell bent" is an Americanism meaning "determined to do something, and to hell with the consequences." Hell bent for leather may be a combination of "hell bent" and "hell for leather". One source says "hell for leather" is a British expression coined by Rudyard Kipling and means recklessly fast (as if riding a horse) and the leather refers to the saddle or the reins. Other sources claim it is an American expression and describes something so arduous or time-consuming that you could actually wear out (leather) shoes trying to accomplish it. Another theory is that "hell bent for leather" is not a combination of those phrases but rather, a cowboy expression. If an animal (cow, horse, pig) became too troublesome to handle they might be slaughtered. They were said to be "hell bent for leather"...working towards being turned into a wallet or a pair of boots. That one sounds a little fishy. I also found hell bent for breakfast. Seriously, how hungry would you have to be?
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Erik, BonnieL and trolley: Thank you all so so much for the phrases. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:38 pm

As far as "hell bent for leather" is concerned, the mighty Ken had a good go at that one a few years back, and there are some even older discussions on the board if you search for them.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:16 pm

The link to the Word Detective reminded me - does anyone know how Even Morris is doing? Is he still alive? I sent a note by snail mail in January & didn't hear back.

I'm still reading his archives & enjoying them very much.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:16 pm
The link to the Word Detective reminded me - does anyone know how Even Morris is doing? Is he still alive? I sent a note by snail mail in January & didn't hear back.

I'm still reading his archives & enjoying them very much.
There has been no activity on his blog or on Twitter since Spring last year, when he talked about his many health issues. Beyond that, I don't know anything.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.