Page 1 of 1

Security gates

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:59 pm
by Stevenloan
What do you call the security gates in the following link? They're used to prevent theft at supermarkets, department stores or shopping malls. ... -re-n.html

Thanks very much!


Re: Security gates

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:52 pm
by tony h
Within the context of a security system they are called pedestals. Not a very helpful word. Referring to them, from out of context - a "security system pedestal" would do the trick. But unless you were addressing a person with reasonable knowledge of security systems you would need more words to explain yourself.

Re: Security gates

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:05 am
by Shelley
Stevenloan, these look like security scanners or metal detectors to me. In my neighborhood, we just call the set-up "security" and thus you have the expression "going through security" -- the act of passing through the detector or scanner and triggering lots of bells and whistles, just to make the day interesting.

Re: Security gates

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm
by Stevenloan
tony h and Shelley : Thanks you two a lot for the terms. They are very useful.