Fountain or Lake?

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Fountain or Lake?

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi everybody! Is the rectangular area in the middle with big green leaves in the fourth picture called a "rectangular fountain" or a "rectangular lake"?

http://vietnammoi.vn/ghe-tham-den-tuong ... 26590.html

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Fountain or Lake?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi Steven,

For convenience I've included that image in my posting:

The object in question is not a fountain, because there is no water falling from a water feature or being sprayed upwards.

It's not a lake, because a lake is normally defined as (in my words) a substantial body of fresh, inland, standing (i.e. not flowing) water situated in natural terrain. This body of water is too small to qualify, and is plainly also entirely artificial, being contained in a man-made basin of stone or concrete.

What you have here is a small body of water which I think most people would call an [artificial*] [rectangular*] [reflecting*] pool, though many would probably also accept [artificial*] [rectangular*] pond. (Though to describe it as rectangular, you have to be willing to disregard the curved projections at each end of the basin which technically invalidate that descriptor).

*Optional descriptor.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Erik: Thanks a million for the terms you provide. They really help. I really appreciate it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 am

I would describe it as an architectural raised pond, rectangular with bell arch ends.

I might change pond for either water garden (to emphasise the planting) or fish pond (to emphasise the livestock and, traditionally, if the fish were for eating).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:45 am

What is the building at the far end, Steven?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 am

tony h : Thank you so much for providing me with the useful terms. They're really useful. Erik: It's a temple to memorize a very famous Vietnamese King called Hùng.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am

Stevenloan wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 am
tony h : Thank you so much for providing me with the useful terms. They're really useful. Erik: It's a temple to memorize a very famous Vietnamese King called Hùng.
So does the pond have a religious symbolism? The design reminds me of a Chinese myth where the carp, gaining wisdom in its life, swims up the river, escapes through some gates and turns into a dragon. So maybe, I think, does this pond represent the river (is it stocked with carp?), the gates of the temple are the gates of legend and the temple is where King Hung (now as a dragon) lies with all the status, power and sagacity with which the dragon is endowed.
?

In which case the description must, for tourists, include the symbolism of a river.

E&OE ! My memory of this myth/legend is nearly 50 years old so it may well be full of errors - I am particularly frustrated by not remembering which religion this myth belongs to.

PS use commemorate rather than memorize in this context.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 pm

tony h : As far as I know, the pond doesn't have a religious symbolism. Thanks for your suggestion about word usage. It really helps.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC