regulation

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

regulation

Post by azz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 am

Can one use
a. This machine is regulation built.
instead of:
b. This machine was built according to regulations.
c. This machine was built taking into account regulations.
?

Many thanks.
Post actions:

Re: regulation

Post by tony h » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I would say "no". And B and C are a bit odd.

not: This machine was built according to regulations.
rather: This machine was built in accordance with THE regulations. Meaning it conforms to standards.
but: This machine was built according to THE regulations - suggests more that the regulations required the building of the machine. eg a waste treatment plant was built because environmental regulations required the factory to treat waste.

This machine was built taking into account regulations.
Again I would add THE.

Also compare regulations with standards.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Tony is spot-on in every respect.

My only additional comment is that "This machine is regulation built" (or, better, 'regulation-built') seems to imply that this machine was built BY (the) regulations — which would obviously be nonsensical, since regulations are devoid of independent volition or agency.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:53 pm

I was also going to mention Erik's notion that it sounds as if it was built by the regulations (user-built, owner-built) but we do have custom-built and purpose-built. Those do smell a little like regulation-built.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 pm

You make a good point, Trolley.

It demonstrates that applying logic to the structures of most natural languages can only take you so far. This is because of the numerous exceptions to rules and idiosyncratic usages that they tend to exhibit.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Another thought with regulation built is that it would be one of those useful marketing phrases that would allow the consumer to infer all sorts of quality in the build but which the lawyers would argue are not there.

Others include:
- broadband up to 100Mb.
- new improved.
- including free.
- we value your personal information and will only use it in ways you permit.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I would be more comfortable with, "built to regulation".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.