Toilet paper roll

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Toilet paper roll

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi everyone! When you finish off a toilet paper roll and there's one pretty long round brown thing left. What do you call it?

https://cgn.inf.br/noticia/240073/falta ... o-banheiro

http://kenh14.vn/truoc-khi-co-giay-ve-s ... 636797.chn

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Toilet paper roll

Post by BonnieL » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Tube or core.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Steven, it has nothing to do with your use of English, but perhaps you might like to reconsider your wording. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 pm
Steven, it has nothing to do with your use of English, but perhaps you might like to reconsider your wording. :D
I hadn't had enough coffee when I read his question. NOW I'm laughing! :lol:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:08 pm

I just about spewed a nosefull of coffee on my keyboard when I read Steve's question and then I felt kind of bad for having such a twisted mind...I felt better after reading Bob's comment. Who's going to explain it when Steven asks "what's going on?"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:17 am

Hi guys! Let me guess! You guys laughed because the part "one pretty long round brown thing" sounded like "poop", right? If that's the case, I apologize. I didn't mean to be rude and I didn't mean any harm, either. After reading my wording again, I laughed, too. Thanks very much for your input.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:38 pm

No need to apologize, Steven. In my experience, most people find toilet humour funny, whether they admit it or not. :)

There's another commonly-used term for the left-over tube, namely toilet roll.

However, this can also mean 'roll of toilet paper', so if the context could lead to confusion it might be better to be more precise.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:38 pm
No need to apologize, Steven. In my experience, most people find toilet humour funny, whether they admit it or not. :)
I was born clutching my pearls & bodily function jokes make me uncomfortable. Now that I'm old(er), I'm a lot looser about humor. :wink:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:17 am

Hi BonnieL and other members! BonnieL said "I'm a lot looser about humor". I checked the meaning of "loose" online and it has quite a lot of meanings. Does "I'm a lot looser about humor" mean "I can easily enjoy jokes without feeling uncomfortable" in this case?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:17 am

Yes, Steve, it does. I laugh a heck of a lot more now - so much in life strikes me as funny. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:24 am

BonnieL : Thanks for your reply. It's great to learn one more new cool English sentence.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC