Crime scenes chalk

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Crime scenes chalk

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi there! At crime scenes, the police usually use chalk to draw a body shape. Do you call the shape "body shape drawn by chalk"?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Crime scenes chalk

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:34 pm

It's generally known as a chalk outline. The relevant Wikipedia article notes that in practice, it is more mythical than actual. (See also http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... -the-body/ )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:17 pm

It begs the question: did policeman normally carry chalk with them and if so why?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 pm

tony h wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:17 pm
It begs the question: did policeman normally carry chalk with them and if so why?
Some must, because otherwise there wouldn't be any chalk fairies.

I have a hard time watching police procedural shows because so often the main characters are idiots. They contaminate crime scenes & can't do a decent search. We watched an old Rockford Files from '75 & it was a miracle that Rockford was able to find anything helpful when he "searched" the bedroom. Modern shows aren't any better, tho I haven't seen any since I last borrowed some CSI dvds.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 pm
tony h wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:17 pm
Some must, because otherwise there wouldn't be any chalk fairies.

I have a hard time watching police procedural shows because so often the main characters are idiots. They contaminate crime scenes & can't do a decent search. We watched an old Rockford Files from '75 & it was a miracle that Rockford was able to find anything helpful when he "searched" the bedroom. Modern shows aren't any better, tho I haven't seen any since I last borrowed some CSI dvds.
What I find worrying is the realisation that if you are to be investigated by police, unless the policeman has there own TV show, they are bound to come to the wrong conclusion. What hope is there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:08 pm

tony h wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm
What I find worrying is the realisation that if you are to be investigated by police, unless the policeman has there own TV show, they are bound to come to the wrong conclusion. What hope is there?
I think the best strategy here is to make sure that if you are to be investigated for some transgression, it needs to be one that justifies the risk of getting caught.

Simples.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Erik, tony h and BonnieL: Thank you all so so much. I really appreciate it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC