in any event

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

in any event

Post by azz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Can one say

a. We can stay here and fight a hopeless battle, run away and die of hunger or commit suicide. In any event, we will die. It is just a matter of sooner or later.

b. We can stay here and fight a hopeless battle, run away and die of hunger or commit suicide. In any case, we will die. It is just a matter of sooner or later.

c. We can stay here and fight a hopeless battle, run away and die of hunger or commit suicide. In any of those cases, we will die. It is just a matter of sooner or later.

d. We can stay here and fight a hopeless battle, run away and die of hunger or commit suicide. Whatever our choice, we will die. It is just a matter of sooner or later.

?

Many thanks
Post actions:

Re: in any event

Post by Phil White » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, along with a host of other alternatives, such as "whatever we do", "either way" (which does not scope to only two alternatives in colloquial English), "whatever happens", and so on.

Some, such as your sentences c and d, are more formal and sound a little out of register compared with the rest of the utterance.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: in any event

Post by trolley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:09 pm

There are some that are acceptable but when you break them down, it's not clear that they should be. I would be fine with using "at any rate", but should I be? Rate is the speed at which something happens. How many occurrences within a given time frame isn't really a factor in this case. At any rate, that's what I think.
Post actions:

End of topic.