Page 1 of 1


Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:40 am
by Stevenloan
Hi everybody! Is it correct to say "I like to grow trees that climb and hold on to walls outside the house" in the following link? ... 916392.chn

Your answers will be greatly appreciate it.


Re: Trees

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 pm
by Erik_Kowal
Those are vines or creepers. This particular creeper is probably ivy.

So, "I like to grow {vines/ivy} up my walls". If you don't specify that you like to grow grapevines, most people will assume you mean vines in general.

Re: Trees

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm
by Phil White
I would choose the most generic term, namely "creepers" or "climbers". Having said that, "creepers" also refers to plants that will spread across the ground and may or may not climb at all. (This behaviour is often indicated by the word "repens" in the botanical name.)

I have a sense that there is a difference between UK and US usage of the word "vine". In the UK, it is very strongly associated with the grape vine, and I disagree with Erik. I think most Brits would assume "vine" to be a grape vine without any other context. I would never refer to ivy or Virginia Creeper as a "vine".

Re: Trees

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 am
by Stevenloan
Erik and Phil White : Thank you two so much for the very detailed answer. I really appreciate it.