we have anything you need

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

we have anything you need

Post by navi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 am

1) We have anything a young mother needs.

2) They think they have anything a young mother needs.

3) They don't think they have anything a young mother needs.

4) They don't think they have just anything a young mother needs.

5) They are wrong to think they have anything a young mother needs.

Would these sentences be correct if in them 'anything' and 'just anything' were supposed to mean 'everything'.

Gratefully,
Navi.
Post actions:

Re: we have anything you need

Post by tony h » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm

If we imagine that the total collection of items a young mother needs is 100 then

As a basic premise anything cannot be interchanged with everything.

1) We have anything a young mother needs. ie we stock all 100 items.
2) They think they have anything a young mother needs. ie they stock all 100 items or they are unaware of the full set of items and that those they are aware of they do stock.
3) They don't think they have anything a young mother needs. ie they stock none of the 100 items or if there are items they stock that are on the list they are unaware they are on the list.
4) They don't think they have just anything a young mother needs. ie they have some but not all items
5) They are wrong to think they have anything a young mother needs. ie they think they stock some or all items but my view is that they are unsuitable.

Would these sentences be correct if in them 'anything' and 'just anything' were supposed to mean 'everything'.

Now, assuming you use "correct" to mean "have the equivalent meaning" then it works for 1 & 2 & 4.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm

I would say, "everything a mother needs".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm

I really can't say why, but I wouldn't use "anything she needs" without adding a "might", a "may", or a "could possibly".
We have anything a young mother might need.
Post actions:

End of topic.