Car doors

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.
Post Reply

Car doors

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi you guys! What do you call this kind of car door? When the two doors open, it's totally different from other cars' doors. ... -services/

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.


Re: Car doors

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 pm

The web page of the car leasing company that advertises the car you are asking about (a BMW i8) describes its doors as "dihedral gull wing doors". [*]

Wikipedia describes gull-wing doors thus:

"A gull-wing door, also known as a falcon-wing door, is an automotive industry term describing car doors that are hinged at the roof rather than the side, as pioneered by the 1952 Mercedes-Benz 300SL race car (W194) and its road-legal version (W198) introduced in 1954.

Opening upwards, the doors evoke the image of a seagull's wings. In French they are portes papillon (butterfly doors). The papillon door, slightly different in its architecture from a gullwing door – designed by Jean Bugatti in 1939 Type 64, 14 years before Mercedes-Benz produced its similar, famous 300SL gullwing door – is a precursor, but is often overlooked when discussing gull-wing design. Conventional car doors are typically hinged at the front-facing edge of the door and the door swings outward in a horizontal plane."

However, on one of its own websites BMW describes this particular model as having scissor doors, which seems to be a more accurate term for them.

Wikipedia again:

"Scissor doors (also beetle-wing doors, turtle doors, switchblade doors, Lamborghini doors, and Lambo doors) are automobile doors that rotate vertically at a fixed hinge at the front of the door, rather than outward as with a conventional door."

The same site additionally notes:

"Because the doors stay within the car's track throughout their range of movement, they are useful when parking in tight spaces. A gullwing door style offers similar visibility, but the doors swing out from the car's area slightly.

The hinge is placed in a similar location to a conventional door, so a convertible version of the car is possible with the same door style."

[*] An online search for this precise term did not yield any matches.

Re: Car doors

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 am

Erik: Thank you so so much for your very detailed answer. Your answer is really helpful.

Post Reply