Decimated

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Decimated

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:38 am

On the BBC a few days ago, an American politician referred to Raqqa in these terms: "half the city has been decimated".

Now call me a stickler, but surely that means that one twentieth of the city has been destroyed.

Seriously, though, as far as I am concerned, you can "decimate" an army or a crop, or a population or, indeed, pretty well anything countable, and I accept that it no longer means eliminate every tenth individual, but surely you can't decimate an uncountable entity such as a city. Just sounds plain wrong to me.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Decimated

Post by tony h » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:21 am

I agree with the view that vegentimated may be a better word. But I don't have a problem with the concept. I read it as 1/20 of all the buildings, power plants, houses, cars, families etc.

Though the "half of the city has been decimated" might suggest that the other half of the city is untouched.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am

In a documentary last night, I heard the following:

"The Black Death decimated the population of Europe. At least a third, possibly anything up to 60 percent of the population died."

In reality, I don't have a great problem with that. It is what "decimate" means nowadays. The real problem I had with the example in my first post was the uncountable "city".
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Phil White wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am
The real problem I had with the example in my first post was the uncountable "city".
You can :
- drink half a glass.
- half a can left.
- buses travel half empty.
- half of Barcelona marched today.

Surely "city" is simply a collection of countable objects. A short form of "half the population of the city".
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.