Discussion

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Discussion

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Mom: Honey, I'm, um... I'm with your father and in order to release him on bond they need four signatures. It's a $10 million bond.
Son: What?
Mom: Ugh, I know. Can you believe? Anyway, can you get down here? Uh, I'll text you the address.
Son: Mom... do you understand what he's done?
Mom: No, honey, Mark, I know you're angry, but he's your father.
Son: I'm not doing it. End of discussion.

Hi everybody! I know that "End of discussion" means "A statement meaning that the speaker wants the subject of conversation closed, in an unfriendly way". Is there an alternative way to say in a friendly way?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Discussion

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:38 pm

It just means that the speaker doesn't want to talk about it and will not change his/her stance under any circumstances.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:09 am

Considering the (assumed) subject under discussion, I don't think there's a friendly way to end it. Perhaps adding: "Give Dad my love"? Tho that would be weird.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:22 am

... look, I don't want to talk about it again.
... please don't ask me again.

Maybe prefaced with : I have thought about it a lot. And, I understand why you want to do this but I am not going to. And I would like to respect my decision. I don't want to fall out with you over it so please don't ask me again.

There are a lot of tones to "End of discussion". One is simply, although rather peremptorily, "let's change the subject."

A teacher may use it to end classroom chat and return to the subject matter. A parent may use it to end pleas from a child about the latest thing they "need". "I am not buying ice creams, you can wait until we get home." "Please ..." "No! End of discussion."
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks you guys very very much. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.