A baby's party

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A baby's party

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call "a party" which is thrown for "a one-month old baby"? Is this party common in your country? This party is very common in my country.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: A baby's party

Post by trolley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

My first thought was "this isn't something we normally celebrate but I guess it would be a type of birthday party". When I Googled around a bit and read about this Asian custom, it made a little more sense. It's not a celebration of the day the baby was born...it is more like a "coming out" party where the child is introduced to the world. It appears this custom is becoming popular in the West and more and more mothers are opting for a "coming out party" rather than the traditional "baby shower". The "baby shower" is usually held before the baby is born and (usually) just attended by the expectant Mother and her female friends and family.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm

trolley wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm
... the traditional "baby shower". The "baby shower" is usually held before the baby is born and (usually) just attended by the expectant Mother and her female friends and family.
I thought the baby shower was a modern phenomenon, a long way away from being traditional. Indeed when our children were born it was still considered highly inappropriate to give any baby gifts before the baby was born. Even at the p'ram' shop we weren't allowed to take the p'ram' until after the birth.

It was all "just in case".
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by trolley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm

What a tangle! After rereading my post, I thought maybe I should explain to Steve that “coming out” does not refer to the baby’s physical journey through the birth canal but rather his “debut” or first public appearance…at least, in my mind. But, wait… in recent years, the term “coming out” has been adopted by the LGBT (QIA?) community to mean self-disclosure about one’s sexual orientation or gender identity and is less-known in the sense of a new-born or debutante. Accepting an invitation to a “coming out party” today may have you witnessing more than you bargained for. I do see quite a few hits for a “sip and see” party that celebrates a baby’s introduction to the world.

PS… Tony, you’re correct. It appears that the baby shower, as I know it, didn’t really take off until after the Second World War. That whole “bad luck” thing about gifts prior to the birth was news to me, as well and sent me off on another 15 minute read. That’s a lot of learning today…and I’ve only just finished lunch.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks very much for your help, guys.
Post actions:

End of topic.