Chump change

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Chump change

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 am

Hi you guys! An online dictionary says that "chump change" means "small or insignificant amount of money". But is it "dollar coins" or "dollar bills"?

Your answer would be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Chump change

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 pm

It can be coins or bills/banknotes, or a mixture of both, or neither.

The amount that qualifies as chump change varies according to the situation: for instance, in the context of the October 1, 2017—September 30, 2018 U.S. military budget of $824.6 billion, an expenditure of (say) $1.3 million could be regarded as chump change.

A discussion on the website of the Word Detective, Evan Morris, explains how the term probably came into being, and casts light on a few other words along the way that sound similar.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Thank you, Erik, for the link to The Work Detective. I've never read it before & I don't know how I missed it.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 am

You're very welcome, Bonnie. :)
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Erik and BonnieL: Thanks very much for your input.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 am

BonnieL wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 pm
Thank you, Erik, for the link to The Work Detective. I've never read it before & I don't know how I missed it.
. Perhaps Bonnie it is because you aren't looking for work??

WoZ retired
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by BonnieL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Oh my goodness! I didn't see that because I knew what I meant! Hmmm - maybe that was a slip of the keyboard - I am looking for part-time work right now. :D
Post actions:

End of topic.