Cars

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Cars

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi everybody! What terms do you use for the sliding glass on the ceiling of a car?

http://www.aboluowang.com/2016/1204/845225.html

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Cars

Post by BonnieL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 pm

CARS.COM — There is a technical difference between a sunroof and a moonroof, but most everybody uses the terms interchangeably. First off, both are panels in the roof that let light or fresh air inside the cabin. Getting down to details, though: A sunroof is typically a solid body-colored panel that pops up or is removable. A moonroof is a type of sunroof, except that it’s a sliding glass panel. The majority of new cars have moonroofs, as what’s technically considered a sunroof has pretty much gone out of style.
I knew it was one or the other, but had to look it up.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 pm

I was interested in Bonniel's reply as well. I have never in my life heard of a moonroof. Sunroofs, yes.
I assume that moonroof is an American term, it definitely isn't British.
You have me fascinated now Bonniel.

Interestingly, my spellchecker recognises sunroof but not moonroof.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

The (US-based) Kelley Blue Book description of the various types of sunroof can be found here:

https://www.kbb.com/what-is/moon-roof/

Among other things, it includes a brief history of the term 'moonroof':

The first moonroof was introduced on the Lincoln Continental Mark IV luxury car in 1973. The term "moonroof" was coined by a Ford marketing manager, John Atkinson. During the first year of production, the Lincoln Continental Mark IV was sent by Ford to the American Sunroof Company for the moonroofs to be installed offline. The Nash Motor Company was the first car manufacturer to make the sunroof available on some of its models in 1937.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:28 pm

I didn't buy my car for the moon(sun)roof, it was just there. I've used it all of one time & didn't see the point. Tho my son & his friends got a kick out of the roof window (better name for it in my opinion) in the SUV. They would take turns standing up in it & driving up & down our very long driveway. Fun watching them have fun. :D
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 pm

I would like to thank you all very very much.
Post actions:

End of topic.