Wallpapers

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Wallpapers

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:32 pm

A: With the presence of these hot girls, I'm sure this kind of car will sell like hot cakes.
B: I don't think so. These hot girls are just glorified wallpapers.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/03/26/women ... sive-cars/

Hi you guys! Is the sentence "These hot girls are just glorified wallpapers" used correctly in this situation? I use it to mean that "These hot girls just stand there as models helping promoting a new car. Their presence does not ensure that the car will sell like hot cakes".

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Wallpapers

Post by trolley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Their presence may not ensure that the car will sell like hot cakes, but it is a proven advertising strategy to help them sell. I didn’t see that wallpaper quote anywhere in the article. I have never heard it before. Is it something that you came up with? I’ll take a swing at it. The meaning of “wallpaper” has expanded since the advent of the computer age, but I’m just thinking about “old school” wallpaper. I could imagine that phrase working if one was criticizing a piece of art hanging on the wall. “That’s not art. That’s just glorified wallpaper.” This would mean that the artwork was no more imaginative or well-executed than some decoration you could buy quite cheaply, in large volumes. I think the term “window dressing” is what you are looking for. To say that something is (just) window dressing means an irrelevant or superficial element added to something strictly to make it appear better than it really is.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 am

What Trolley said.

Alternatively, you could describe the women as "purely decorative" if they are there only to make the cars look more appealing.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:36 pm

trolley and Erik: Thank you two so so much.
Post actions:

End of topic.