A title on a ship

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A title on a ship

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi everybody! The person who has the highest power on a ship is called "a captain", what do you call the person who has the second highest power on a ship?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: A title on a ship

Post by trolley » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 pm

The highest ranking officer junior to the Captain is the Lieutenant. The most senior Lieutenant is the First Lieutenant. He is the second-in-command. This position is sometimes referred to as First Officer, First Mate, Chief Officer, or Chief Mate
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 pm

trolley is right but there are variations depending on the size of the boat and whether they are navy, merchant or pleasure.

On smaller boats the second in command can be the first mate and the captain is often called the Skipper or Skip - but definitely not Skippy.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 pm

I spent a lot of my early working years in shipping, twenty-eight of them actually, and I give you a mnemonic uttered with horrible regularity by the Chief Docks Foreman at Swansea Docks, "A boat goes on the boat-deck, a ship goes on the sea".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:17 am

Bobinwales wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 pm
I spent a lot of my early working years in shipping, twenty-eight of them actually, and I give you a mnemonic uttered with horrible regularity by the Chief Docks Foreman at Swansea Docks, "A boat goes on the boat-deck, a ship goes on the sea".
There are numerous exceptions to the foreman's 'rule' about what may be called a boat: Packet boat, sailboat, gunboat, torpedo boat, steamboat, paddle boat, narrow boat, oreboat and houseboat, to name the main ones I can think of. Additionally, a ferry boat, patrol boat and lifeboat can be of any size.

Finally, let's not forget some other notable exceptions -- the dreamboat, showboat and gravy boat.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Dear members!

I'm sorry that I forgot to explain clearly. What do you call the person who has the second highest power on "a naval ship"?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Ah, now it gets confusing.
On a Royal Naval ship the term 'captain' is the job, not the rank. A captain can be a lieutenant. In answer to your question though Steven, the second in command would be called, "Number One". I don't know about American ships I'm afraid.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Bob: Thanks so much for your answer.
Post actions:

End of topic.