Be seeing you

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Be seeing you

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 am

Hi you guys! I checked two online dictionaries and the definition of "I'll be seeing you" really confused me. The first dictionary says "Good-bye, I will see you sometime in the (near) future" and the second dictionary says "used for saying goodbye to someone who you know, when you are not sure when you will see them again". Could you please tell me which definition is the most correct?

John: Have a good time on your vacation. I'll be seeing you.
Sally: See you next week. Bye.

Your answers will be greatly appreciated

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Be seeing you

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Both meanings can be correct, depending on the nature of the relationship between the people concerned. Conventional greetings are so-called phatic expressions, which Wikipedia defines as "communication which serves a social function such as small talk and social pleasantries that don't seek or offer any information of value". As such, their content is less important than their mere existence.

For example, I may say "See you later" to the checkout operator when I leave a supermarket, possibly with no particular expectation of meeting them ever again. Here, the literal content of my farewell greeting is meaningless.

On the other hand, if I say the same thing to a family member, it does convey some real (but vague and minimal) information.
Post actions:

Re: Be seeing you

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Erik: Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.