Beta

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Beta

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi you guys! I checked the meaning of "beta" online and all the results showed that "beta" is a noun, not an adjective. It means "A beta is a male who, instead of being alpha and manning up, completely bitches out. Can apply to many situations, but often refers to scenarios with women." Is "beta" commonly used as an adjective in spoken English?

"Several years ago I had a frightening incident with a man and was kind of scared of men for a while. I felt a little lost after that and looked for love in different places. I dated a woman, a bisexual man, and then finally settled down with a very gentle man. I’d always been attracted to tall, dark, and handsome men, but this guy was about the same size as me and completely nonthreatening. I was pretty happy with him. We quickly settled into a fairly happy life and started raising my child together. We’ve lived together for a few years now, own a home, and have a nice life. Here is my problem. I’m so bored and frustrated with this man. He is so beta, he won’t make any decisions or plans or take responsibility for anything. "

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Beta

Post by tony h » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Steven the examples you quote here seem most unpleasant. Certainly not anything I would expect to hear. Having said that the meaning seems clear.

In programmes about animals you will often hear about the Alpha Males who are the leaders with the main requirement being strong fighters and gain rights over the females. Not a modern human approach to relationships. The Alpha is taken from the first letter of the Greek alphabet, and is followed by Beta and Gamma ending up with Omega. So the Beta is second grade.

I am not going to go into any of the other elements of the speech.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: Beta

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 pm

tony h: Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.