Kiss and make up

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Kiss and make up

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 am

Hi you guys! I know "kiss and make up" means "to become friendly again after arguing". Is this phrase only applied to a man and a woman or a boy and a girl? Is it applied to a man and a man or a boy and a boy, as well? The following example is from an online dictionary. I'm asking these two questions because I don't know the two persons in the example below are male or female.

Eg: Why can't we kiss and make up? I don't want us to be angry.

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Kiss and make up

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:41 pm

The expression can be used for any combination of sexes, though it is probably best avoided in contexts where it might give rise to faulty inferences about the nature of the relationship between the parties involved. In such situations, you can simply say "make up".

It can also be used (somewhat facetiously) to refer to a reconciliation between institutions or nations. For instance: "What will it take for Britain and the EU to kiss and make up after the Brexit vote?" or "Can the two Koreas ever kiss and make up?"

Here, the facetiousness arises from applying an expression which implies the possibility of a straightforward reconciliation to situations where reconciliation or agreement is far from easy or simple.
Post actions:

Re: Kiss and make up

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Erik: Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.