Blown-up

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Blown-up

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi you guys! What exactly does "blown-up" mean in this situation? Because online dictionaries say it has quite a few meanings.

"A friend of mine got me into Son Of Anarchy as it isn't anything likely to hit our screens here in Oz. Ironically enough the theme of the show is not that far removed from a lot of the bike gangs we have here and hear about but I digress.

It took me a few episodes to get hooked on Son Of Anarchy as I can honestly say it is unlike any American show i have watched. Its grainy and raw and even the actors are people who you'd see in your everyday life and not the glam and glitter that Hollywood or the like fobs off.

For that I ended up loving Son Of Anarchy. A lot. I like also that there are a lot of "known" but not blown up actors. You know their faces but you don't have them seared into your mind from over exposure so you can suspend judgment and believe these characters exist."

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Blown-up

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I would read that as the actors were not as good as they were made out to be.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 pm

This isn't a usage with which I am familiar but its meaning seems fathomable from the context. I think the Blown-up actor is the one who occupies too much screen time well beyond the time that the role demands. You see this particularly with big name guests in TV series. When they appear the camera goes in too close and lingers too long and they are given too much to do.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:38 pm

An actor who is not 'blown up' is one whose reputation or sense of self-importance has not become unduly inflated, whether by themselves or others.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:06 pm

It isn't a term I'm familiar with in this context, but the meaning seems to be explained in the next sentence. I would think it means actors who have a lot of media exposure, such as those who are famous for being famous. The show is using less well-known actors who can actually act.
Post actions:

End of topic.