Funds are looking

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Funds are looking

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi you guys! "Look" has quite a few meanings in online dictionaries. Could you please let me know its exact meaning in this situation?

A: How often do you go to the movies?
B: It all depends on how my funds are looking, if I really feel like the movie is worth going to the expensive movie theater, and if I am paying.

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Funds are looking

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:26 pm

It means that he will have to see whether he has enough money to pay for his cinema ticket.
(We very rarely hear "movie theatre" in the UK, although "movie" is probably heard as often as "film" now. And don't forget that "theater" is a US spelling)
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:48 pm

"how something is looking" means roughly the same as "what something looks like", so you could also say "what my funds look like".

Look in this sense means something similar to "appear" or "seem". So the question is "do my funds appear to be adequate or not?".

It is a very nice question and an odd usage. I may well be making use of it in my next blog post!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Bob and Phil White: Thank you guys very very much. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.