Certainly

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Certainly

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi everyone! Today after I paid for some things at a supermarket, I used a shopping cart to carry them to my car, suddenly a young man who I guess by his accent is American came helping me load my stuff into my car. When we were done, I said "Thank you very much!" and he replied "Certainly", he smiled and walked away. I was extremely surprised. I know "Certainly" means the same as "Of course", but is it commonly used as a response to a thank you where you live?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Certainly

Post by trolley » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm

There are many ways to respond to a thank you. They cover the spectrum from “You’re welcome”, all the way through “no sweat” and every shade in between. There’s even more opinions on which ones are acceptable. I wouldn’t say that “certainly” is a common response around here, especially from people younger than 50 or so. I have heard it lots, though and probably used it a few times. I think it is short for “you are certainly welcome” or “it was certainly my pleasure”. Similarly, you might hear “absolutely” or “of course” or “for sure”.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 am

I've never heard it used that way, but it is understandable. Around here the favorite seems to be "no problem." Which a lot of other people have a problem with. :roll:
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

trolley and BonnieL: Thank you two a lot for the input.
Post actions:

End of topic.