Coffee

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Coffee

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am

Hi everybody! Whenever I drink coffee, I always put quite a lot of milk into it. Between "I like drinking coffee with milk" and "I like drinking milk coffee", which one sounds more common in conversations?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Coffee

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 pm

I would say "I like to drink milky coffee" or "I {prefer / take} my coffee fairly milky" to describe your preference.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 pm

The way you described it first would be preferred here, rather than your examples: "I like my coffee with a lot of milk." Here in the US cream is the preferred "whitener" of coffee, so any mention of coffee with milk would be unusual.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:16 am

BonnieL wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 pm
Here in the US cream is the preferred "whitener" of coffee, so any mention of coffee with milk would be unusual.
If you are a US coffee drinker, you'll very rarely be served coffee that isn't made directly from coffee beans. In many other countries that isn't the case: there, you'll often be offered instant coffee with milk (or, to heap one abomination onto another, artificial milk powder) more likely as a whitener than cream.

Instant coffee is particularly likely to be served in someone's home (certainly in Britain that has been my experience).
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Erik and BonnieL: Thank you two very much. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:54 am

Steve the two things you speak of are entirely different to me.

"I like drinking coffee with milk" >> For me this means coffee that has been made as drip filter or percolated or even instant but essentially as a water based coffee. Then a person adds the amount of milk that they require from a dribble to a lot.

"I like drinking milk coffee" >> For me this is milk based coffee made entirely with milk. In Aus this would mean say a latte or a flat white. The shot is put in and then the warm milk is added. It may also mean instant coffee that is made entirely with milk.

WoZ the barrister (hee hee)
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by elview » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 am

Just for a laugh...we drink our coffee here at home with milk. We'll ask each other "Did you milk my coffee?" We're not farmers but we do live in a very rural county...lots of hogs, cows, corn, and beans!
Post actions:
Signature: elview
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Stevenloan wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am
which one sounds more common in conversations?
Just a note that you have to be a bit careful with this phrase. The "which one sounds more common" might well be taken to mean "a phrase that common people use" - the ill-educated. "Which one would be more commonly heard" does not suffer from this to the same extent.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 pm

WoZ and elview: Thank you two for your opinions. tony h: Thanks a lot for your advice. It's super helpful.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 pm

elview wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 am
Just for a laugh...we drink our coffee here at home with milk. We'll ask each other "Did you milk my coffee?" We're not farmers but we do live in a very rural county...lots of hogs, cows, corn, and beans!
Very early on I asked my intended why she took her coffee black. It stemmed from her work as a health visitor in the more rural parts of our county.
V, "would you like tea?"
W, "yes please."
V, "Milk?"
W, "yes please"
V, "I have goat, sheep or breast."
W, "actually ... could I have a black coffee."

She stuck with black coffee after that.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.