Pineapple

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Pineapple

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call the symptom that your tongue has after you eat raw pineapple? Your tongue feels very uncomfortable.

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Pineapple

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Wow, the things you learn here… I have no idea if there is a word to describe the unpleasant sensation one gets after eating pineapple. My first thought was “Holy smokes, Steven. You do realize you have to peel them first!” I’ve eaten a lot of pineapple in my life and never experienced or heard of any discomfort associated with it. A quick trip to Google and…”Bam”. There it is. Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain which digests proteins. It can be used as a meat tenderizer. These enzymes actually start to break down the cells inside your mouth. You eat the pineapple and the pineapple eats you. What a world!
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 pm

I pointed out to a friend of mine that he had turned his lawn into a colony of cannibals by feeding it cuttings of itself. This had never occurred to him before.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

trolley and Erik: Thank you two a lot.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Celery does something similar, either because of furanocoumourans or eugenol - no one seems to be sure which it is. Maybe eugenol is a furanocoumouran? I'm no chemist, so have no clue.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 pm

BonnieL: Thanks for your input.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 pm

I see that nobody actually addressed Steven's actual question.

I also have never had any difficulty with raw pineapple, but I knew it is very aggressive.

From what other people have said on the web it seems that it can make your tongue or mouth feel "sore", "raw" or "tender".
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:11 pm

Phil White: Thanks a lot for your opinion.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:34 am

Steve I would use the would tangy or tart, Both of these words encompass an acidic feel in the mouth. Depending upon the individual it can be unpleasant. This is often offset in fruit salads by the inclusion of a sweeter fruit, eg mango.

On medical and other matters you can't put pineapple in a jelly because the enzymes won't let it set. Pineapple is good for sore throats and colds.

WoZ with the rough end
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm

WoZ: Thanks a lot for the input. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:34 am
On medical and other matters you can't put pineapple in a jelly because the enzymes won't let it set.
Canned pineapple works, tho, just not raw. And I think this is another example of differences in UK/US words. What you call jelly we would call jello - tho the Jell-O people aren't happy about that, which is why in American recipes you'll see "gelatin."
Post actions:

End of topic.