An operation

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

An operation

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi you guys! How do I say to describe a situation when a woman has an operation to deliver a baby? Is it correct to say "She delivers her baby by having an operation"?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: An operation

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 pm

There are many different ways in which midwives or obstetricians (a doctor who specializes in caring for women during pregnancy and childbirth) can intervene in childbirth. Any actual surgical intervention would generally be performed by an obstetrician.

Generally, all intervention that goes beyond the normal difficulties of childbirth would be called an "assisted delivery". If a baby is delivered with assistance, we would usually refer to the name of the actual procedure used, such as a "forceps delivery" or a "Caesarian section".

My guess is that you are thinking of a Caesarian section, and we would normally say something like the following, where "Pam" is the mother and "Sally" is the baby.

"Sally was delivered by Caesarian section."
"Pam had a Caesarian section."
"Pam had/needed a Caesarian."
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm

More often than not, in North America it would be called a "C-section", rather than its proper name.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 pm

I make the note that giving birth in hospital is the norm in the UK. Before then people would also comment on "she had a hospital birth". Now the comment would be the obverse "she had a home birth" - of which a practice that now, apparently, the Royal College of Midwives is disapproving.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:13 am

Colloquially, if the child was delivered by C-section (optional words enclosed in square brackets): "They [had to] cut her open [to deliver the baby]".
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Thank you all very very much
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:54 pm

trolley wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:56 pm
More often than not, in North America it would be called a "C-section", rather than its proper name.
Yep. "She had a C-section." And that would be it, except for birthing horror stories by others. :roll:
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I find this all most bizarre. This is C section.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Not bizarre at all. In the USA and wherever else 'C-section' is used in connection with delivering a baby, it's simply a shortened form of 'Caesarian section'.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 pm

Ah! 4 syllables. Could be tricky.

I always find "marmalade" an obscenely long word for first thing in the morning.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Phil White wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 pm

I always find "marmalade" an obscenely long word for first thing in the morning.

but most necessary.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

Phil White wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 pm
I suppose you'd prefer just to get 'lade?
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 am

As the wee chick remarked, "Marmalade an egg."

WoZ with the Legions
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.