Pants

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Pants

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:49 am

Hi everybody! What do you call this kind of pants? The bottom is bigger than the middle.

http://www.yes24.vn/quan-dai-kaki-nu-ha ... 43172.html

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Pants

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm

These flared trousers/pants were known as 'bell-bottoms' back in the 1970s, when I was a teenager in England. Also simply known as 'flares'.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Don't forget that in UK English THESE are pants.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 pm

For what it's worth, my take on it is that "bell bottoms" was the earlier term and was very much associated with the hippie movement of the latter half of the sixties. Bell bottoms in those days were often made by inserting a triangle of material from the knee to the hem, often in contrasting material. You can still get bell bottoms for women, but nowadays, the flare tends to start at the top part of the calf and is much sharper than the old hippie bell bottoms, which flared from the knee down.

By the seventies, the fashion had been toned down a little and the cut was nowhere near as extreme. Even mainstream suits often had a slightly flared cut. By this time, the term "bell bottoms" had pretty well gone out of use. But most of us who were teenagers in the late 60s and 70s wore flares.

In my secondary school in around 1975, we had a school rule that said that flares were not to be wider than the length of your shoe, which was sad for people like me with small feet!

By the 80s at the very latest, no self-respecting young person wore flares.

In among the love beads, the beards and long hair and the sandals, I suspect that flares hold a very special place in the nostalgic memories of people of my generation.

I admit to still owning a pair that date back that far!

Ah! Jefferson Airplane tonight, I think...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:47 am

In my school, in the late sixties, the guys wore flares and the girls wore bell bottoms. By the early seventies, "bell bottoms" was the term used both both genders. It was considered "cool" to open up the seams at the bottom of your jeans and have triangles of material stitched in to make your bells wider. I had a pretty groovy pair with the Union Jack incorporated. Of course, they had to be way too long so the bottoms frayed on the ground and dragged a good few inches of material, trailing.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am

Thank you all very very much
Post actions:

End of topic.