Negative

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Negative

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

A 5 year old son: Daddy! Can I have coffee?
Father: That is a big fat negative.

Hi you guys! Can the answer "That is a big fat negative" be used to say to an adult or is it used to say to kids only?

Thanks so much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Negative

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:52 pm

I wouldn't use it at all.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 am

It's an emphatic colloquial expression that I have heard many times in the USA.

It's not my perception that it is mostly being said to children. Rather the contrary -- the word 'negative' is an abstract term that I'd guess is unlikely to be spoken to young children in particular.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:38 am

I'd agree that "negative" (meaning "no") is more likely to be said to an adult. I believe it is a military useage and is the opposite of "affirmative". The addition of "big fat" does make it sound a little childish, though. 'Big fat' is kid-speak for absolute, definite, or to the highest degree.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 am

But definitely an American term. Aussies tend to use the old fashioned "no". Me? I might reply, "Does the word no have any meaning for you?" or "The word no springs to mind."

WoZ being negativised
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:41 am

I would like to thank you guys so so much for the input
Post actions:

End of topic.