Mouse

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Mouse

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 am

My friend: This is the first time I've made some homemade shampoo. Do you want to try it?
Me: I'd love to but I don't want to be your white lab mouse.

Hi you guys! I use "white lab mouse" in this situation in a humorous way to mean "the white mouse that scientists use for experiments in laboratories". So is the sentence "I don't want to be your white lab mouse" used correctly?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Mouse

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:37 am

Hi Steven,
The usual phrase in English is "Guinea pig". Guinea pigs were used widely in scientific research alongside mice. Most people would say "I don't want to be your Guinea pig."

Having said that, "I don't want to be your white lab mouse" is novel, interesting and amusing. It would make people raise their eyebrows and think for a moment, but I am sure that people would understand it.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Lab rat or Guinea pig would be more common. Both rats & mice bred for labs are white, so it wouldn't be necessary to mention the color.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I agree with Bonnie and I think the "white" part, aside from being unnecessary, sounds unnatural. Is that lab mouse white, or is it a mouse that comes from a white lab? I wouldn't shop for a green boy's shirt, unless of course, my son was green...
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm

One of my jobs when working my way through Uni was as "The Keeper of the Lab Rats." The Psychology Faculty had a very large mischief, I prefer a gnaw, of rats, both white and saddleback. I fed them, cleaned their boxes, recorded the births, counted the offspring and took baby rats into the library to scare and amaze young females. My concurrent job was "Keeper of the Monkeys" which is another story all together.

WoZ of the jungle.
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm
My concurrent job was "Keeper of the Monkeys" which is another story all together.
To which you are clearly not going to treat us...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Anyone remember Lester the Lab Rat from Beakman's World? That was a fun & educational show. :D
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 am

Ah Phil it came to pass that I was accepted into the Macaque family. The first time the female reached through the bars to touch my beard I nearly had a heart attack. But when I moved back she began fleaing me. This did not go down well with the Alpha male who really turned it on with a major display. Me being of superior intelligence, well it was rumoured that I was, took the threat gesture he made at me, level 1, direct to level 5. He was confused to say the least. Eventually he accepted me and came to realise I was not interested in mating with his girlfriend. The two intermediate males always showed me submission gesture and I could not change that. The second female would only come near when the Alpha female was with me and she would sort of sit next to her. I loved that time and spent much more time with them than I was supposed to.

WoZ of the jungle
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 am

Thank you all very very much. This forum just keeps getting better and more interesting.
Post actions:

End of topic.