Round thing hair

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Round thing hair

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:43 am

Hi everyone! What do you call the pretty long round things in the woman's hair?

http://www.keovang.com/uon/ky-thuat-uon ... g-uon-lanh

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Round thing hair

Post by tony h » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am

These, I think, are rollers. Once very common in ladies fashion they seem to have been replaced by heated rollers, curling tongs, and a host of other things. That knowledge is gained by having daughters and granddaughters!

The idea, if you don't know, is that the hair is dried on the curlers and then they are removed. Although, with modern fashions being what they are, girls probably wear the curlers on a night out.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 am

Yes, "curlers" or "rollers".

In the 1950s and 1960s, you would sometimes see people actually going out in curlers, although this would be regarded as "common". Possibly the most famous example in the UK is the character Hilda Ogden from the TV soap Coronation Street, which has now been running for 57 years!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I remember those things - horribly uncomfortable to sleep in. I'm also old enough to remember the juice can rollers for wavy hair. Never tried them myself because with string-straight hair, I needed all the help I could get to just get a minor wave - even with perms!
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Rollers came in a large variety of sizes depending what effect was desired; from a gentle wave to a tight curl. They made great things to build toy forts with and knock over with marbles. My sister did lose it a bit when upon her return home she found that our pet cocker spaniel was in the process of having a wave treatment courtesy of her rollers.

WoZ the furdresser
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.