Whatever

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Whatever

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 am

Daughter: Don't you worry about what I spend my money on, Mom.
Mom: Alright. That's your money. 1. You can do whatever you want with it. 2. You do with it whatever you feel like.

Hi you guys! What sentence sounds more appropriate, between 1 and 2, in this situation?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Whatever

Post by tony h » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:59 pm

They are both ok. I read the nuances like this :

1. The first sounds as though the mother is pleased for the daughter and is happy she can spend it. This might be a gift from Grandparents for her to spend on the family holiday. "That was nice of Grandma to give you twenty pounds, you can do whatever you want with it."

2. The second sounds a bit miffed and disapproving. "You won 50,000,000 on the lottery. You do with it whatever you feel like." With the sub-text of we spent our life looking after you, paying your way through university, we still have a mortgage - she could at least have offered to pay that off. But, oh no, all fifty million is going on that charity Save The Milton Keynes Earthworm.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: Whatever

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:15 pm

tony h : Thanks a lot for your very detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.
Post actions:

End of topic.