Under a rock

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Under a rock

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:05 pm

My uncle's wife: Did your mom tell you that your uncle has been cheating on me for a few weeks?
Me: No, she didn't.
My uncle's wife: So did your mom tell you that your sister dropped out of college last month?
Me: No. It looks like I've been living under a rock lately.

Hi you guys! Do I use "It looks like I've been living under a rock lately" correctly in this situation? I use this sentence to mean "I don't have basic knowledge of popular current events or I'm not aware of things that most people know about".

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Under a rock

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Your surmise is correct.

To me, the 'living under a rock' description suggests not only being disconnected from common knowledge or prevailing culture, but (like the kinds of animals that sometimes live under rocks) being in a less fully evolved or developed condition.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Erik : Thank you very much for your input.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Steve I think that is one of the most inventive sentences you have ever constructed. You are really getting a handle on this english language thing. Well done mate.

WoZ crawling out from under his warm rock
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 am

Hi there! WoZ: Thank you so much for the compliment. I still have tons of things that I need to learn from you guys. Enjoy your weekend.
Post actions:

End of topic.