Dentist's helper

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Dentist's helper

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi everybody! What do you call a person who helps or assists a dentist whenever the dentist takes care of a patient's teeth?

http://nhakhoatotnhat.com/tuyen-dung-vi ... -1461.html

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Dentist's helper

Post by Phil White » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:14 pm

In the UK, this would usually be a dental nurse.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Over here, that person would be a dental assistant.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:39 pm

In the UK there are various titles: dental assistant, dental nurse or dental hygienist.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:05 am

When I lived in the US, the ones I encountered were referred to as dental technicians, dental assistants or (depending on their degree of specialization) dental hygienists.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:25 am

I just put Steven's page into an online translator and it shows "no experience necessary" which would suggest a title of "Administrator" or "Dental Practice Administrator".

And on a cultural point it specifically requires "females". In the UK that would be illegal as it must be open to female and male applicants.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Thank you guys very very much. tony h: I have never seen a male dental assistant in my life in my country. It's weird.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:05 am

Stevenloan wrote:Thank you guys very very much. tony h: I have never seen a male dental assistant in my life in my country. It's weird.
I never thought about it, but you're right - I have never seen a male dental assistant or hygienist here, either. I'm going to ask my dentist relatives if such a critter exists.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:45 pm

I asked my dentist sister & bil. They said there are male assistants & hygienists, but they are rare. Don't know why. I'm guessing it's the lower level of pay.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 pm

There is a male dental nurse in the practice I use. He is of Chinese stock.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.