The most occupier

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

The most occupier

Post by Stevenloan » Tue May 30, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi everyone! A is a stock broker, B gives A a lot of money and tells A to invest the money in this company but A invests in another company that has a lot of risks without telling B about it. After a few days B finds out but luckily the investment has very good results. B says to A:

"Congratulations! You do that again and you’ll find yourself the most occupier down in a tent on the street."

Does "You’ll find yourself the most occupier down in a tent on the street" have a figurative meaning in this situation"? If yes, please let me know what it means.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: The most occupier

Post by JosephPa » Tue May 30, 2017 6:26 pm

This euphemism (and I had every license one can acquire) loses it viability (to me) due to what appears to be, because of the distilled corruption of English etiquette.
I sold everything and I wonder if B can sleep at night - even though the SEC has more on its plate than it can handle.
How did you encounter "the "most occupier" ?
Yech!
I would not have the foggiest notion what this would mean.
Boy! this MUST be a local phenomena...!

Ya lost me!
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Tue May 30, 2017 6:33 pm

"Does "You’ll find yourself the most occupier down in a tent on the street" have a figurative meaning in this situation"? If yes, please let me know what it means."

Most occupier? I can't imagine its meaning, figuratively or literally. If you occupied a tent down in the street you would probably be a poor person...or one of these "occupy Wall St." folks. That's all I can glean. I suspect its a misquote.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 pm

I agree, I can't make any sense of: "Congratulations! You do that again and you’ll find yourself the most occupier down in a tent on the street."

I would suggest the original may have been: "Congratulations! You do that again and you’ll find yourself, at the most, occupying a tent down on the street." For which the meaning will be : "you will be bankrupt and homeless".
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 pm

JosephPA, Steven is Vietnamese, living in Vietnam. English is not his first language and he asks us for advice. We enjoy helping him with colloquialisms and anomalies. Welcome to our community Joseph.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 am

tony h wrote:I agree, I can't make any sense of: "Congratulations! You do that again and you’ll find yourself the most occupier down in a tent on the street."

I would suggest the original may have been: "Congratulations! You do that again and you’ll find yourself, at the most, occupying a tent down on the street." For which the meaning will be : "you will be bankrupt and homeless".
That sounds likely, tho I'd change "most" to "best."
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 am

Hi guys! I heard those sentences from an episode of an American science fiction crime drama television series. It was my fault that I forgot to write "successful" in front of "occupier". Luckily, I have just found the script online. It is rather long.

The investor: You held the sell tickets on Virtanen to the last minute so I wouldn't see. One hundred million shorted, Adam?
The stock broker: You said you wanted playmakers around here.
Another stock broker: You short-sold Virtanen? Are you out of your mind?
The stock broker: It's guilty, their stock craters and I hold the price that I sold for. See, that's the smart money, Victor. Let it ride.
The investor: All right, kid. But consider what you're betting.
FOXGLOVE: A verdict has been read. They're relaying it now. Guilty of all charges.
[CROWD CHEERING] FOXGLOVE: Immediately following the verdict, the DA announced charges against Virtanen CFO Mark Lawson.
The investor: Congratulations. You do that again and you'll find yourself the most successful occupier down in a tent on the street.

I hope the situation is clear now. What does " You’ll find yourself the most successful occupier down in a tent on the street" mean?

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Wed May 31, 2017 7:43 pm

Stevenloan wrote:I hope the situation is clear now. What does " You’ll find yourself the most successful occupier down in a tent on the street" mean?
Still don't have a clue - & I'm a 'Murican. But I don't have a television. What's the name of the show?

2nd thoughts - perhaps it was spoken sarcastically? As in, you'll be very successful, but still broke & homeless.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 am

BonnieL : The movie is called "Person Of Interest" Season 1. Thank you for your input.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 am

Stevenloan wrote:BonnieL : The movie is called "Person Of Interest" Season 1. Thank you for your input.
Thank you! I'd never heard of of the show, but it stars one of my favorite actors - Jim Caviezel. I'll have to look for it on dvd now.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am

It is basically a threat:
You’ll find yourself ... mess up again and your future will be ...
the most successful --- you can call yourself successful if the chance is lucky for you ..
occupier --- you will be living ...
... down in a tent on the street ... you will be homeless - because I won't employ you nor will anyone else.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 pm

tony h : Thanks a lot. The definitions you provide are incredibly helpful.
Post actions:

End of topic.