Bracelet

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Bracelet

Post by Stevenloan » Sat May 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi everyone! What do you call the long black bracelet that the monk in the yellow outfit wears? (The second big picture).

http://vietthangloi.vn/pages/19/trang-p ... a-dep.html

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Bracelet

Post by tony h » Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Generically they are prayer beads which, I suppose, is tautological.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Sun May 28, 2017 2:50 pm

tony h : Thank you so much for the term. Is it correct to say "The monk is wearing a string of prayer beads"?
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Steven the monk may well be wearing a BRACELET, but we don't know that. You could say that he is wearing a necklace, but I would be more likely to call it a string of prayer beads.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Mon May 29, 2017 12:35 am

Bob : It was my fault that I was careless when I wrote "bracelet" instead of "necklace". Thank you very much.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Mon May 29, 2017 4:48 am

tony h wrote:Generically they are prayer beads which, I suppose, is tautological.
I'm feeling pretty chuffed that I got that! I used to wonder when I'd see in books that someone was "telling his beads." Then I happened to come across the etymology in an article about old rosaries. Now I'm one-up on my husband - he's a Latin teacher who usually knows more about etymology than I do, but he didn't know that beads were prayers. :D
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 pm

You are feeling chuffed Bonnie?

I was under the impression that that word was confined to UK English. Is it in common use there now?
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by BonnieL » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 am

Bobinwales wrote:You are feeling chuffed Bonnie?

I was under the impression that that word was confined to UK English. Is it in common use there now?
No - but we don't have an American equivalent that I know of. I like it - it describes the feeling perfectly. :)
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue May 30, 2017 11:14 am

I can't argue with that. In fact I am quite chuffed that the word has crossed the Pond!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

End of topic.