which took place during...

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

which took place during...

Post by navi » Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 am

Can one use:
1) My brother, in London, calls me up every week.
instead of:
2) My brother, who is in London, calls me up every week.

Can one use:
3) The bank robbery, during the afternoon of Friday the 12th, was carried out with extreme professionalism, whereas the robbery of the jewel store, during the football match on the 13th, was obviously done by amateurs.
instead of:
4) The bank robbery, which took place during the afternoon of Friday the 12th, was carried out with extreme professionalism, whereas the robbery of the jewel store, which took place during the football match on the 13th, was obviously done by amateurs.

Can one use:
5) The First World War, from 1914 to 1918, led to much death and destruction.
instead of:
6) The First World War, which took place from 1914 to 1918, led to much death and destruction.

Gratefully,
Navi.
Post actions:

Re: which took place during...

Post by Phil White » Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 pm

I think there are more elegant ways of phrasing all these sentences, but your suggestions seem fine to me. Some people might argue about the commas, but I would tend to leave them in.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 19, 2017 6:01 pm

I agree.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri May 19, 2017 10:31 pm

I would have thought that

"My brother calls me up every week from London."

And

"The bank robbery, which took place during the afternoon of Friday the 12th, was carried out with extreme professionalism, whereas the robbery of the jewellers at the same time as the football match on the 13th, was obviously done by amateurs."

Would be better.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.