Self-propelled wheelchair

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Self-propelled wheelchair

Post by Phil White » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Having gradually coaxed my elderly mother into a care home near me, I am now able to visit her regularly and occasionally take her out. I can borrow a wheelchair from the home and took her down to the riverside yesterday. Unfortunately, there is quite a steep hill down to the river, and after I had pushed her back up, I was quite knackered.

Leaving aside the entertainment value of someone who is registered blind pushing someone else who is registered blind and hardly able to walk more than a few steps around in a wheelchair, the episode set me thinking. There must be some attendant-operated electric chairs to take the burden out of pushing the chair up hills. So I started googling.

"Self-propelled wheelchair", I saw. And at a very reasonable price. But on looking at it, it did not seem to have a motor. Neither did the next one.

Apparently, a "self-propelled wheelchair" is one that is propelled by the occupant, which struck me as being very odd.

A straw poll among colleagues showed that about half agreed with me and about half understood it the way it was intended.

Very strange.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Self-propelled wheelchair

Post by trolley » Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 pm

That is strange. I guess it boils down to who is the "self" that is being referred to. Is it the chair or is it the occupant. To me, a self propelled vehicle is something that is capable of moving under it's own power. Something that is a part of the chair, itself, is providing the motive force. A self-propelled lawn mower is a type of mower that rolls forward by means of its own motor. I find it hard to imagine that any normal person would call a regular push mower a "self-propelled" mower.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 pm

I have just come across the counterpart: the "attendant-propelled wheelchair".
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by BonnieL » Thu May 18, 2017 10:46 pm

The topic made me curious as I, too, thought of self-propelled mowers. Apparently, a wheelchair that is not self-propelled is motorized, electric, or battery powered. There may be more options.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 am

Just now I found about a thousand Google hits for "occupant-propelled wheelchair". Hardly a deluge, but not entirely insignificant either.
Post actions:

End of topic.