The farthest way

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

The farthest way

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:28 am

Hi everybody! My classmate asks me for direction to a place that sells narcotic and I say yes. When we are about 50 meters away from the place, I'm scared of being seen accidentally by my family members, so are "I just can take you here" and "This is the farthest way I can take you" used correctly in the following sentences in this situation?

1. I just can take you here. The place is over there next to a convenience store.

2. This is the farthest way I can take you. The place is over there next to a convenience store.

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: The farthest way

Post by Phil White » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm

"This is as far as I can take you" is what you need there. Possibly "I can only take you up to here" or "I can't take you any further than this".

You may also be able to use "this is the farthest I can take you", but not "farthest way".

The difference between "farthest" and "furthest" (is there one) merits a discussion all on its own.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Wed May 17, 2017 10:14 pm

It's strange that the opposite also works...."This is the closest I can take you" or "this is as close as I will take you". Steve's "far" examples refer to the distance from their starting point. The "close" examples refer to the destination. Either one works and a native speaker would understand the meaning immediately without any need need for clarification.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Nice spot, Trolley!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Thu May 18, 2017 1:07 am

Phil White and trolley : Thank you two very much. Can I say "Good catch" instead of "Nice spot" in this case?
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu May 18, 2017 7:44 am

"Good catch!" would tend to be used in a situation where the person saying it should have, or at least ideally would have, themselves been aware of the extra nuance.

I think it would be a little harsh to say that Phil should have made the same point as Trolley, even though his understanding of the workings of English grammar far surpasses that of most speakers of English (including me), and so I suppose it could be argued that he would have been in a better position than most to make Trolley's point.

In my opinion, this situation is more deserving of a "Well spotted!" or "Nicely spotted!" :)
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Erik : Thanks so much for your explanation. It's very helpful.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 am

By the way Steven,
You wrote:Hi everybody! My classmate asks me for directions to a place that sells narcotics and I say "Yes". When we are about 50 metres (UK spelling) away from the place...
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 am

Fifty metres is as near as I want to get to some members of my extended family.
Post actions:

Post by Stevenloan » Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am

Bob : Thanks for the changes and letting me know the difference. Erik: Thanks for the input.
Post actions:

End of topic.