Chair and table

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Chair and table

Post by Stevenloan » Wed May 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi you guys! What do you call this kind of chair? The yellow part is used as a table.

http://hoaphat.net/ghe-gap-hoa-phat-g04b.html

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: Chair and table

Post by tony h » Wed May 10, 2017 5:17 pm

They seem to be called "conference chair with writing tablet".

The use of tablet surprised me. I wondered if it was a diminutive of table.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed May 10, 2017 5:34 pm

We call them student chairs. They may have the added "with tablet" but not always.

Tony "tablet" is a fairly old word and has the connotation of a writing slate. Think of the modern connection to Android tablets.

WoZ who takes tablets
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Wed May 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:We call them student chairs. They may have the added "with tablet" but not always.

Tony "tablet" is a fairly old word and has the connotation of a writing slate. Think of the modern connection to Android tablets.

WoZ who takes tablets
Absolutely agree with you on that. The tablet is the thing on which you make your marks to carry them away, a rather less portable from of writing paper. This device is a table or desk which us used for resting things on: mug, papers, pen or tablet.

But I do get this from the web but even so I think this use of tablet is new.

TABLET
n.
early 14c., "slab or flat surface for an inscription" (especially the two Mosaic tables of stone), from Old French tablete (13c.), diminutive of table "slab" (see table (n.)). The meaning "lozenge, pill" is first recorded 1580s; that of "pad of writing paper" in 1880.
tablet. (n.d.). Online Etymology Dictionary. Retrieved May 10, 2017 from Dictionary.com website http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tablet
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Stevenloan » Fri May 12, 2017 12:36 am

tony h and WoZ: Thank you two very much.
Post actions:

End of topic.